Summertime means relaxing in the sun with your pet. When the warm weather in McConnellsburg, PA demands a cooldown, use these tips from Peck Insurance Agency to keep your dog safe in aquatic environments.
- Leave the leash. Small dog owners think having a leash attached to their pet while they’re walking next to waterways will help them pull their pet to safety if they accidentally slip into the water. However, it is just as likely that your pet will pull you in too. Skip the leash when you’re on the water to prevent yourself from falling victim to your pup’s enthusiasm.
- Check the water before you let your dog go. Inspect the area surrounding your chosen spot. Look for signs of danger like potentially poisonous plants, broken bottles or other things that can pierce little paws, and harmful trash left behind by previous visitors.
- Talk to your vet before embarking. For those planning camping trips or visits to nature-based destinations, talk to your vet about ways to protect your pup from waterborne illnesses that can threaten their health. You may also want to get their vaccinations updated or purchase another dose of flea and tick repellant.
- Don’t force your dog to do anything they aren’t comfortable doing. It’s a common assumption that all dogs are good swimmers. This is not true. If your dog is nervous about getting in the water, respect their feelings and do not throw them into the water.
- Use bright, reflective objects. Keep your pup close to you at all times. Consider tying swatches of bright fabric to their collars to make it easier to identify your dog from far away.
Finally, make sure your pet insurance is up to date before you hit the road. Peck Insurance Agency provides pet insurance for families in the McConnellsburg, PA area. Contact our representatives for more information on keeping your pets safe this summer.